About Active Schools Friendly
Active Schools Friendly outlines best practice in:
- physical education
- physical activity
- school sport
Why become an Active Schools Friendly School?
Receive recognition for your commitment to:
- providing high quality, regular and age-appropriate Physical education and physical activity in order to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for pupils
- delivering a curriculum that meets the needs of the pupils and school community whilst meeting the statutory guidance.
- embedding a whole school approach to physical activity and the wider curriculum
What does your school need to do to become Active Schools Friendly?
This programme works in the same way as the Leeds Healthy Schools programme in that there are 2 stages to the process. The first is gaining self-validated Active Schools Friendly Status and the second is gaining externally validated Active Schools Friendly Status.
You must be able to demonstrate that the school:
- meets the statutory guidance in relation to the curriculum
- uses pupil voice to ensure that the curriculum is needs led
- has invested in leadership and training
- has a clear vision/action for the future
- has reached good or outstanding in each of the ten strands of the Physical activity theme of the School Health Check - self-validated Active Schools Friendly status
- has a successful visit to externally validate your Active Schools Friendly status
How long does it take?
We do not set timescales. The Physical activity theme, on the School Health Check, can be changed and updated as many times as it needs to be before submission.
Do I get guidance?
Your Physical education/Healthy Schools consultant/advisor will provide you with support to complete this process. Please contact your consultant directly, alternatively email email@example.com
For those schools without a Service Level Agreement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request support.
How do I know if I’ve been successful?
Once you have submitted the Physical activity theme, a member of the service will quality assure your submission and if successful, you will receive a self-validated Active Schools Friendly logo.
If a school chooses to advance onto becoming an externally validated Active Schools Friendly school, then a visit will take place which will involve, a tour of the school, discussions with the PE lead, the headteacher/member of Senior Leadership Team and a cross section of pupils, as well as surveys for parents, staff and governors. Following these conversations, you will be informed as to whether you have been successful in achieving externally validated Active Schools Friendly status.
After you become an Active Schools Friendly school
We’ll send you:
- a logo to use on your website or letterheads
Externally validated Active Schools Friendly
We’ll send you:
- logo to use on your website or letterheads
- a report