PE and School Sport Premium
Please Note: Due to disruption caused by Covid-19 the Department for Education (DfE) has given permission for schools to ‘carry over’ all underspend into 2021/22. However, schools must report on all spending incurred in this academic year by 31st July 2021.
All young people should have the opportunity to live healthy and active lives. A positive experience of sport and physical activity at a young age can build a lifetime habit of participation, and is central to meeting the government's ambitions for a world-class education system.
The PE and Sport Premium can help primary schools to achieve this aim, providing eligible primary schools with £16,000 per year and an additional payment of £10 per pupil, of government funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of the PE, physical activity and sport offered through their core budgets.
Ofsted's new Inspection Framework, which came into effect from September 2019, gives greater recognition to schools' work to support the personal development of pupils, such as the opportunities they have to learn about eating healthily and maintaining an active lifestyle. Inspectors will expect to see schools delivering a broad, ambitious education, including opportunities to be active during the school day and through extra-curricular activities. Schools should consider how they use their PE and Sport Premium to support this.
What can schools use the funding for?
Schools should use the premium to secure improvements in the following 5 key indicators:
1. Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
2. Profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
3. Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
4. Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
5. Increased participation in competitive sport
What must schools publish on their website?
Online reporting must include:
• the amount of premium received
• a full breakdown of how it has been spent
• the impact the school has seen on pupils' PE, physical activity, and sport participation and attainment
• how the improvements will be sustainable in the future
Please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice on how best to use your PE and Sport Premium and how to successfully report your spend.
Recommended reporting template: afPE YST