Emotional Wellbeing & Healthy Weight Training
Delegates should attend this training to support the key aims and recommendations within the Childhood Obesity Plan and recent Ofsted thematic review (Obesity, healthy eating and physical activity in primary schools, 2018).
This new course brings together two imperative current health agendas affecting children and young people in the UK. Childhood obesity is one of the most serious public health challenges of the 21st century. Locally in Leeds by the time children leave school at year 6, almost one in five children are obese (19.1%) with just above a third (33.5%) overweight or obese (NCMP, 2016-17).
As well as addressing key issues around weight, healthy eating and wellbeing, this course will go deeper to explore emotional aspects of eating and food behaviours. The course will link in with MindMate lessons and the concept of body image, as well as introduce eating disorders. Delegates will gain confidence in raising the issue of food and weight and be provided with clear information on sign posting and the referrals process.
Schools can play a key role in supporting and educating children and young people to make positive changes to their lifestyle, choosing healthier food, being more active, in school and at home. Ofsted acknowledge the important role schools have in imparting knowledge for healthier and happier futures.
- Work towards recommendations and goals with the Childhood obesity plan
- Understand how Change4life and Eatwell messages can support a whole school approach to improve the number of children and young people who are a healthy weight
- Discuss Behaviour change strategies to encourage healthier eating behaviours
- Understanding the data for your school and cluster around healthy weight (including the National Child Measurement Programme and the My Health My School Survey)
- Explore emotional eating and body image through the MindMate lessons
- Explore eating disorders, how to recognise symptoms, referrals & sign posting
- Gain confidence in raising the issue of weight and food with pupils and families
- Course length: Full day
- Theme: Healthy Eating