Remove hunger as a barrier to learning.
This new course will support schools with addressing food poverty and hunger in school and for families at home. It will include learning on free school meals in partnership with the Leeds Council Tax and Benefits Service.
Free School Meal numbers have risen by over 5,500 in the past year, at an accelerated rate, partially due to the effects of the pandemic. The course will also cover key topics that may be affecting schools and families, particularly with many families who may be living in poverty or suffered a change in circumstances due to COVID-19.
The course will explore causes and consequences of hunger, associated stigma, including the impact on wellbeing and attainment. You will learn about how to identify signs of hunger, malnutrition or poor diet associated with poverty.
The course will include learning on how schools can support families with accessing food in their local community, including food banks, food donation schemes and also ensuring that hunger is removed as a barrier to learning across the school day.
This event will also include all you need to know about free school meals including; the claims process, eligibility, how to promote take-up and maximise your pupil premium.
• Understand the links between hunger, nutrition and academic performance,
• Learn about free school meals, eligibility, claims and maximising pupil premium,
• Consider issues associated with food poverty and know how to identify pupils at risk of hunger,
• Know how to support families who are experiencing food poverty,
• Explore the impact of stigma and learn how to minimise this,
• Understand the options for families to access food in both term time and school holidays,
• Highlight the importance of promoting Free School Meals,
• Find out about local organisations and charities who can support your school and families with access to food.
Health & Wellbeing Service Level Agreement (SLA) credit value = 1 credit
- £130 per delegate.
- Schools with a current Health & Wellbeing Service SLA may be entitled to pre-paid places subject to sufficient available training credits.
- The full 'pay as you go' price will be applied if you have insufficient training credits.
For further information please contact email@example.com
Please note that all face to face training will delivered in line with current Covid-19 guidelines and as such may be subject to change.