A blended learning course accredited through the Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance (HABC).
This training course is ideal for anyone who has already completed their food safety previous and would like a refresher, or, anyone with a basic knowledge of food safety. This training is aimed at secondary food teachers, primary teachers delivering cooking activities in the curriculum and anyone serving food in schools such as at breakfast or after school club. It is also suitable for lunchtime supervisors and catering staff involved in the service, preparation or handling of food.
This course will be completed through remote independent learning, which can be completed at any time, followed by a face to face revision session and exam.
With cooking now statutory in the primary and secondary Cooking and Nutrition Curriculum and the new Health Education Curriculum, food safety training is essential for school staff.
This training will help staff to deliver comprehensive food education that meets statutory requirements and will also help to ensure cooking lessons can be adapted and delivered safely to help prevent the spread of infection. This training is also applicable to those handling or serving food in school including before and after school club staff or members of school catering.
Pupil’s safety must come at the forefront of all practical food work, considering potential hazards, risks and control measures. This training will give staff greater confidence when teaching, to prioritise health and prevent disease and infection through work with food.
Learners gaining this qualification will know that food safety is the responsibility of everyone involved in the storage, preparation, cooking and handling of food.
• Work towards Level 2 Food Safety (there is a short exam to be taken on the day),
• Understand the potential risks, hazard and control measures needed to deliver a safe food curriculum,
• Know how to adapt lessons to minimise risks associated with the spread of infection
• Learn about food allergies,
• Understand how to store and prepare food safely.
• Increase confidence to teach pupils about the importance of food safety in school and at home.
• Know how to write a bespoke risk assessment for your school or catering service.
• Gain an internationally recognised qualification in food safety (subject to the outcome of the exam).
Health & Wellbeing Service Level Agreement (SLA) credit value = 1 credit + £35.
Please note that an additional charge of £35 will be applied to this training to cover accreditation costs, this cost will be raised to SLA schools after the training has taken place.
- Schools with no Health & Wellbeing Service SLA £165 (this covers one delegate place including accreditation cost)
- Schools with a current Health & Wellbeing SLA may be entitled to pre-paid places (+ £35) subject to sufficient available training credits.
- The full 'pay as you go' price will be applied if you have insufficient training credits.
All face to face training will be delivered in line with current Covid-19 guidelines and as such may be subject to change