Become a certified Youth Mental Health First Aid Champion.
The one day Youth Mental Health Champion course is a condensed version of the 2 day option in which participants gain skills and confidence to spot the signs and symptoms of mental health issues in a young person.
This option covers the basic fundamentals of the most common mental health issues affecting young people, and participants who complete the whole day are certified as Youth Mental Health Champions by Mental Health England.
This course will provide you with the tools to confidently open up conversations to create a mentally healthy environment in school or setting, youth group, community, family or peer group. You will also gain skills and confidence to address the stigma surrounding mental health.
The course provides mental health first aid knowledge and skills, it won't teach you to be a therapist, but we will show you to appropriately listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis.
You will also be able to confidently advocate for mental health awareness.
Learning takes place through a mix of highly interactive group activities, presentations and discussions. We limit delegate numbers per course, with a minimum number of 10, so that the instructors can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Further details about this course can be found in the Mental Health section of this website
Our Youth Mental Health First Aid one day course qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aid Champion.
Youth Mental Health First Champions have:
• An understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing,
• Some practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues,
• Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress,
• Enhanced interpersonal skills,
• Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support (whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix), engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate,
• Ability to support a young person with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive,
• Tools to look after their own mental wellbeing.
Everyone who completes the course will be able to take away with them:
• A Youth Mental Health First Aid manual to refer to whenever they need it,
• A workbook including some helpful tools to support your own mental health,
• A Youth Mental Health First Aid lanyard and action card,
• A Youth Mental Health First Aid pen,
• A Youth Mental Health First Aid badge.
Following the programme, delegates will receive a certificate from Mental Health England confirming their attendance on the course and their status as a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
Please note: Face to face training will be delivered in line with the most current Covid-19 guidelines and such may be subject to change. Risk assessments and safe systems of work will be completed prior to all training.
- £130 per delegate for settings who have an SLA with the Health & Wellbeing Service.
- £170 for settings with no current Health & Wellbeing Service SLA.
- Please note: due to the cost of resources and accreditation, this training is not included within the SLA credits.
We can also deliver a bespoke course at your venue if you wish to train up to 16 participants at once, at a cost of £1200 (representing a cost of only £75 per delegate on a full course). For a bespoke course, your venue must be able to comfortably and safely accommodate seating for 16 people plus two trainers, have facilities for Powerpoint, and a quiet second space where confidential support can be given if necessary.
Duration of Course: You will need to arrive on time (8:45am for a 9am start until 5pm finish) and attend the full day to gain accreditation as a Youth Mental Health First Aid Champion.