ALWAYS & TAMPAX ‘ABOUT YOU’
Always and Tampax Provide Thousands of Schools with Free Sanitary Wear and Access to Puberty Education Programme
The Always & Tampax ‘About You’ Puberty Education Programme is back this year and thousands of secondary schools across the UK and Republic of Ireland have already signed up to receive their free sample packs.
The programme aims to help educators tackle the challenge of teaching 11-14-year-olds about the physical and emotional aspects of puberty, including drops in confidence and low self-esteem that can occur in young girls.
Last year over 300,000 young girls benefitted from free Always & Tampax sample packs, and 98% of survey respondents who used the resources said their students (both boys and girls) enjoyed the lessons.
The ‘About You’ Puberty Education Programme provides free, downloadable classroom resources such as lesson plans, activity sheets, PowerPoints and videos, in addition to sending secondary schools free demonstration kits and sample packs for the girls in one chosen year group. Created by teachers for teachers, the resources help deliver puberty education in line with the PSHE/PSE curriculum. They include #LikeAGirl confidence-building resources and cover four topics:
- Changing Body – including lessons on feminine protection, puberty, growth and development
- Healthy Body – covering healthy eating, personal hygiene, exercise and sleep
- Emotional Health – covering peer pressure, self-esteem and relationships with others
- PE – tackling the sport drop-off in girls at the point of puberty, and helping them build and maintain their confidence
“The samples have helped to provide visual input for our students, which helps learners to really engage with the subject content. It has also helped to support our less confident, non-specialist members of staff who can use the resources to structure their lessons.”
– Chrissie Jackson, Lead Teacher of Social Sciences, Abbey Park school
“By having the programme and samples, it gave me the confidence to demonstrate how the samples worked and to be able to talk freely about a 'taboo' subject that can be difficult for girls to speak about. As the sessions went on, the girls became much more confident to ask different questions. Very pleased that I signed up for this.”
- Rhian Spence, Head of Year 9, Heysham High School Sports College
Free sample packs are limited in number and schools can sign up now by visiting www.nationalschoolspartnership.com/initiatives/always-about-you, and clicking the ‘Register Now’ button. Sample packs include:
- Classroom demonstration kits
- Feminine protection sample packs & information booklets for the girls
Parent/carer leaflets for the girls to take homeView All